The Islands

Lamma Island

Just a 22-minute ferry ride away from Central Station, Lamma Island is a quick way to remove yourself from the chaos of the city. The island’s peacefulness is due not only to fewer people, but also the kind of atmosphere that surrounds beach retreats and tiny fishing villages. The only catcalls you’ll hear on this island are to promoting the myriad seafood restaurants lining the docks.

The hilly walk between the two fishing villages takes about an hour and a half, so I was relieved to see that I could take the ferry back to Central from the second fishing village, also.

Lantau Island

Home to the world's largest sitting Buddha statue, Lantau island brings in a good number of tourists to its hills. Though the Buddha is no historical relic, having been built in the 1990s, it is still an impressive feat at which to marvel. More interesting still is the Buddhist temple at the base of the hill, where smoke from the hundreds of burning incense sticks twists into the air while visitors drop to their knees in prayer.



While I found Lantau Island interesting, I would not put it at the top of my list for must-sees (unless you take a particular interest in Buddhism) because it feels touristy. Though if you want to see the Buddha and still get away from the ogling tourists, I suggest you take some time to walk around the quiet paths that cut through the forests behind the big Buddha. On my mini-nature walk, I was surprised to see such quaint, overgrown gardens, and even a cow lazily chewing cud next to a scarecrow.


Comments

Popular Posts