A Fragrant Harbor

Hong Kong, or 香港 xianggang in Mandarin, means "fragrant Harbor". Though the only prevalent smells in Hong Kong now might not be classified as "fragrant", the idea of an alluring and even overpowering harbor of activity is still an excellent characterization of this unique set of islands.

While Singapore strikes me as a classic and regal mesh of Western Europe meets Asia, Hong Kong's grit and bustle make it seem like New York and Asia collided. Throw a little London in the mix, and you have the well-mannered, spotlessly clean, high-powered, diverse, consumer-driven city that never sleeps that is Hong Kong. As a friend told me before I left for my trip, "Hong Kong is whatever kind of city you want it to be." She was right. If you are a backpacker looking to get by on single digit dollars a day or a Haute Couture shopper who seeks nothing but the most posh of cutting edge anything and everything, Hong Kong has something to offer. Every subway station and every major high-end hotel in Hong Kong is linked to a mall. Never in my life have I seen (and enjoyed the creativity of) so many large, billboard advertisements everywhere I turn. From the moment that I took the airport bus into the city and practically drooled over the twinkling lights of the high rise apartment buildings, I was on sensory overload. But in a good way.

Comments

  1. What a great way to describe the city..I am telling people it's Shanghai meets NYC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts