Walked a Dog, Saw An Olympic Skater Perform

My toes are numb and my fingers are stiff, but it was worth it.

This is my first winter in New York City. Coming from years of winter wonderlands, trees that glittered with ice, and snow that piled up higher than humans, I was wary of an urban winter. I imagine slush, dirt, and dreary streets.

But I also think of the tree in Rockefeller Center, ice skating, holiday lights, and hot cocoa. Though we haven't had a real snow yet this season, tonight I caught a glimpse of what New York has to offer in winter.


What started as a walk around the block with my roommate's dog, Nala, turned into a spectacle at the South Street Seaport.

It's the day after Thanksgiving, so all my friends are away visiting family. I was prepared for an antisocial weekend entertained only by Nala and Netflix. I took her to the dog park by my apartment, and though she had tussled with two other dogs for 40 minutes, I figured I'd take her for a walk around the block, too.

When I arrived at the Seaport, which has recently started to gain attention with a few pop-up shops, I saw a crowd of people gathered around the newly-constructed ice skating rink. On the ice was Sarah Hughes, the New York native who took the ladies' singles skating Olympic gold in 2002.


She did a quick warm up before yielding the ice to a juniors synchronized team who performed.

Tugging Nala at my side as she tried to greet every stranger walking by, we trotted over to the giant Christmas tree to listen to a live music performance and watch the tree lighting ceremony. Nala's natural adorableness caught the attention of the wife of the Seaport's manager. She and I chatted for a while, and her husband came over to greet us.

Five, four, three, two, one...and the tree was lit.


After the tree stood bright, we refocused our attention to the rink, where Sarah Hughes gave her performance to River by Joni Mitchell. 


So, in the wonderful city of surprises that is New York, walking a dog turned into a winter festival with a towering Christmas tree, live music, social run-ins with city planners, and, best of all, a live performance by an Olympic gold medalist.

But I still can't wait for the first white snowfall. 

Comments

Popular Posts