Celebrating 4th of July on Roosevelt Island

My memories of the 4th of July all entail teen squeals of delight over the arrival of the Wildwood Boys--the male campers who would be bussed over to Camp Mataponi to watch the fireworks after a day of watermelon eating contests, water balloon fights, pie throws, and kissing booths.

Those are very good but very old memories. In fact, I can't remember celebrating the 4th of July in a long time. America's birthday seems to have gotten lost in the mix during my young adult years. I have been so busy trying to get out of America that I guess I forgot about it.

But, as I've mentioned here before, travel made me appreciate what my country has just as much as it clarified the reality of what our so-called American Exceptionalism is lacking.

What's so exceptional about America? Pie. Or, at least a very good, life-long friend who bakes pies. Three pies, to be precise. Eating pie against a backdrop of fireworks isn't too shabby, either. But what is really amazing is that this is a thirteen year friendship. We maintained it through three years of pre-teen awkwardness, four years of third-party spats and high school angst, four years of long-distance topped with midterms and finals, and two years of six to thirteen hour time differences. Yet, I was able to move halfway round the world, settle in a new city, and still enjoy her home-made pie(s). Isn't that worth celebrating?

 It's at least worth a couple of fireworks over Astoria.

After the annual New York 4th of July fireworks migrated from one river to another, crowds shifted away from Roosevelt Island, leaving a family-oriented, BBQ induced calm. There were people in Lighthouse Park to be sure, but it was homey.



I laid in the sun reading news then watch the sun go down. I watched as the street lamps flickered on, the sky drew itself shut, and the fireworks spotted over different buildings in Queens.


Now that I have been in the US for almost a year, I miss travel. Desperately. But, when I was traveling I missed my people acutely. Living abroad does bring unique ways of forming fast friendships, but it doesn't speed up the process by thirteen years, it doesn't factor in the past--and it is never a replacement for home.





Comments

Popular Posts