United States Botanic Gardens

Today I was reminded strongly of Singapore when two friends and I went to the United States Botanic Gardens. You can escape the cold (for free) by ducking under the misters and into the tropics at the botanic gardens, which takes you from tropics to desert in a winding path of lush green, even in the dead of winter.


 

Although the orchid section was lovely, it wasn't as massive or as regal as the naturally hot, outdoor orchid gardens that Chiara and I explored in Singapore. However, from the cardinal I saw at the entrance, to the leafy displays at the exit, and all the orchids in between, my friends and I had a good time wandering, winding, and whiling away the time.








We had time to kill when we exited the tropics, so we walked across the street to the National Museum of the American Indian. I don't have a particular interest in Native American History, which made it all the more practical to spend an hour or two there (also for free) while I was in the area and otherwise unoccupied. The most impressive part of the museum is the intricate beading displayed on many of the tribal headdresses and equestrian accessories. I also enjoyed chatting with my friends about the various historical, political, and economic questions the exhibit raised for us.



Around 4pm my hunger surpassed my intellectual curiosity, and we took the metro back to my friends' place for dinner. Gabe, keeping a year long promise, made pizza from scratch. It was a great success.

If these are the kinds of days I can look forward to in Washington DC, I think this city and I will get along. 

Comments

  1. You make it all come alive. And the photos are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts