Taipei

I thought I had experienced a bout of mild in-country culture shock during my visit to Shanghai, but coming to Taiwan from the mainland is an altogether different kind of shock. From the moment I read in Lonely Planet that you can drink the tap water, my mouth has been open in astonishment ever since.

On the subway we emerged from underground to see a lush, tropical landscape surrounding the whole city. Trees are not uncommon within the city itself, and on more than one occasion we have passed mini-shrubs hanging on walls or lined in baskets. Just looking outside my hostel window now, I can see trees lining the tiny streets, giving the cramped city-scape an almost overgrown, jungle-like feel.

The people, too, are of a different nature. No one yells, honks the horn (a constant annoyance of mine in the mainland where people lean on their horns to show that they are present rather than following traffic laws that would make that tactic unnecessary), or spits in the street. I have been bumped into twice, and twice I have gotten a genuine apology.

All of Taiwan seems to be regulated. People throw their trash away. Every motorcyclist we have seen has been wearing a helmet. According to one of our taxi drivers, there will be a new law starting next year that mandates buckling your seat belt lest you are subjected to a hefty fine of 4,500 Taiwanese dollars (150 USD). No one pushes to get into or off of the subway. Taxi lines are calm and orderly. The entire city of Taipei seems to be an exercise in manners and self-control.

Comments

  1. Wow, sounds great. They are also supposed to have a great health care system.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts