Paris's Oldest Restaurant

To continue the good food tour, I have to mention a little restaurant where my friend and I ate last night. It's called A la petite chaise. Located a block or so away from Sciences Politiques ("Sciences Po"), and just a few minutes from Boulevard St. Germain, a left-bank street notorious for its trendy restaurant scene, this little restaurant is close enough to the hub to be accessible, yet far enough removed to ensure a quiet atmosphere.

Although it boasts the reputation of Paris's oldest restaurant, it doesn't look very old. It must have gotten several face lifts over the years, because the wood-paneled walls are bright, the paint is fresh, and the whole dining area feels clean, open, bright, and simple.

The food was sort of the same way: simple. My rack of lamb wasn't drenched in sauce or slathered in seasonings--it was simply prepared with a bit of light oil and basic spices, yet rich and delicious. It just goes to show that the right preparation of a quality piece of meat is good enough to stand on its own.

My appetizer and dessert were just as good as my main course. For starters I had six beautifully buttered escargot. They came out so hot they were still bubbling. To wrap up my meal I ordered a chocolate cake, which stood like an island amidst a sea of creme anglaise. Every bite amazed me, because it seemed as though the taste changed with every mouthful. The dry cocoa powder on top, the rich, creamy center, and the almost spongy bottom layer--not thick enough to detract from the mousse, but just enough to line the plate and soak up a bit of creme anglaise--seemed to alternate the role of leading flavor and texture. My friend ordered a white chocolate mousse. Elegant and well-prepared, it came out as a warm white chocolate mousse topped with a layer of hot chocolate ganache. As excellent as my chocolate cake was, I might even say that her mousse was better.

Although this is no cheap restaurant, you get what you pay for. For a 31 euro dinner "formule", I got a high-quality 3-course meal and polite, attentive service. The restaurant has been here for longer than any other Parisian restaurant, so they've got to be doing something right!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts