The Walls of Prague

Once just an ordinary wall, the Lennon Wall is now covered in layers and layers of painted images of John Lennon and lyrics from songs by the Beatles. Inspired by Lennon, the wall is a symbol of peace. It used to be that the wall irritated the government, still Communist in the 1980s when the wall was first painted. Now the wall is a recognized, condoned place for expressions of peace as well as a tourist attraction for young people, peace activists, and Lennon fans alike. It gets repainted all the time, but when we were there it looked like this:




The lennon wall isn't the only wall in Prague worth visiting, though. I was lucky enough to get to visit my friend, Suzie, from Mataponi while I was in Prague. (It's really amazing to be a junior because you all of a sudden have an entire network spread out across the world. In my travels I've met up with my friends, friends of friends, bumped into friends unexpectedly, and even found random strangers on the street or in a café who knew someone I or my traveling mate knew.) Suzie recommended that my friend Amie and I head over to Vysehrad our last day to take a stroll around the area.
Everyone we spoke to said we had to take the bus, that Vysehrad was too far to walk to, but Amie and I decided to give it a go anyhow. She wielded her map with confidence, and after about a 45 minute stroll through calm residental districts and past interesting stores (one of which was a bakery we practically bought out on our way back) we arrived at Vysehrad. The area is a bit confusing--there's a castle, a cathedral, a cemetary, and a resedential district, all in a fortress overlooking the city, and all (I think) called Vysehrad. We made it over to the cemetary where we saw Dvorak's grave.


We saw tall churches, big statues, and one tiny playground where we took a brief pause to see-saw for a bit. There isn't a lot of stuff going on here for your typical tourist, but we just enjoyed it for what we experienced: beautiful weather, a pleasant stroll, and a gorgeous view. It was a nice way to end our trip to Prague.

Comments

  1. So glad Suzi suggested it..you got to go where most tourists don't!!! Dad and I need to put Prague on our list. The networking thing is great..now you know how Avi travels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts