An Afternoon at The Farm

I miss Middlebury. I love Paris, don't get me wrong, but it's basically the opposite of Middlebury, Vermont. Paris is a city built for small Parisians. Café tables are packed so tightly together I either have to move my table to get to my seat or awkwardly slide my derrière right by the poor people already seated at the next table over. Some streets are so narrow that the first 10 feet or so of the building's edge is carved out like half a doorway so that vehicles can turn the corners more easily. It's small. Middlebury, on the other hand, is wide open. We have open fields, space to move around in, and we've even got a farm right next to my old dormitory.

A few weeks ago my friend, Amie, told me about her new discovery. In search of a cool, student hang-out in which to do her homework, she stumbled upon La Ferme. The farm, as it's called in English, is like a tiny piece of Middlebury brought over to Paris. The café, which has that wide-open-spaces feel that you don't tend to get in Paris, is built and decorated with unpolished wood, a tree springs up from the floor in the back room, and the idea of fresh, organic Vermont food is embraced.


This little treasure is the perfect place to go to type your papers while you sip rich hot chocolate, snack on crumbly fruit cobbler, or crunch on an organic apple from their organic mini-mart wall. Despite the broken wifi (or maybe because of the broken wifi) I had a very productive work session that included some truly delicious snacks! I wasn't the only one, either. Looking around I saw many other young students who had come from all over: people were discussing many different topics in many different languages.

La Ferme: 55 Rue Saint-Roch. Metro: Pyramides

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts