How to Pack for a Three Week Trip to India -- With Just A Carry On

Who says you can't get by in India with just a carry on suitcase? Everyone, apparently. The people I spoke with--colleagues, friends--think I am insane.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a three-week tour of northern India. My friend's wedding prompted me to buy tickets, and my love of travel caused me to stay longer than even her five-day wedding celebrations would require. I will need traditional Indian clothes for the festivities anyway, which got me thinking: why not just buy most of my clothing over there?

This is a bit of an experiment. There's a definite possibility I could get over there and realize I'm missing something. But who cares? I think I have accounted for the essentials (passport, money, camera, underwear...), so the rest is just about creature comfort.


What I'm wearing on the plane:
  • Old barefoot running shoes (and socks). Not great for running, but good for daily walking. Can be left behind with little regret if necessary.
  • Spandex jeans. Perfectly comfortable and functional. I chose these over yoga pants for the flight because pockets come in handy.
  • Black tank top. I know India is a conservative country, but layers are always key.
  • Black fleece. India is hot you say? Well over-air-conditioned planes, the Himalayas, and desert nights are all cold.
  • Winter jacket. See above for cold. Also, my North Face can be bunched up so small it fits in my purse (with some effort).
What I'm packing in my "personal item":
  • Camera and lenses
  • Pens. Always handy in customs.
What I'm packing in my carry-on luggage:
  • Clothing essentials
    • 3 pair of yoga pants
    • 1 long skirt
    • 1 long sleeve shirt
    • 1 tank top + 2 T-shirts
    • 1 light sweater
    • 14 pair of underwear
    • 2 sports bras
    • 6 pair of socks
    • 1 bathing suit
    • 1 pair of walking flats (think Toms but not)
  • Electronics
  • Toiletries
    • Basically anything you can buy at Duane Reade
    • Toothbrush/toothpaste
  • Misc.
    • Granola bars
    • Money belt (which is actually a running belt)
    • Sunglasses
    • Drawstring backpack (You know, a super thin one like this)
And it all fits in my little black suitcase! Now wish me luck...



Comments

Popular Posts