Zip Through The Dominican Jungle For An Avian Experience

West of Punta Cana mountains bustle up in the middle of the island. Atop the second highest peak, a tourism mogul who owns Bavaro Runners built Monkey Land and a series of 12 zip lines, which crisscross the jungle canopy. The course includes the Caribbean's longest, highest, and fastest line. I harangued my mother until she agreed to go with me.

A safari bus--open on three sides--made the rounds to all the major resorts, picking up two tourists here, a family there, until the bus was full. We made our way toward the mountains on open highway lined with dense brush and spots of open fields populated by cows, horses, pigs, and chickens.





Ascending the mountain took skill on the part of our driver, who navigated pot-marked dirt roads and muddy holes with confidence. We lurched and bounced in our seats while our gregarious tour guide, Alex, pointed out cocoa beans, swollen avocados, red coffee beans, bananas, and oranges all growing on trees along the mountain path. Unlike in the United States, these were not orchards with carefully planted trees in distinct rows. And farmers in brightly painted houses picked cocoa and coffee beans, leaving them to dry side by side in the sun.

My mom and I were the only two on the bus who had selected the combo Monkey Land + Zip Line, so the driver dropped us off to visit the squirrel monkeys and proceeded to the zip line course with the other tourists. He came back about 30 minutes later to shuttle us the 50 feet to the 5th zip line where we would hook up with the tail end of our group.

A hip dude named Miguel suited me up after a lanky fellow recited the course layout and safety tips. Miguel made a few quips while he tightened buckle after buckle on my double harness and then sent me off into the wild. My mom begrudgingly lumbered behind me, still unsure what she'd agreed to do.

The zip line is very safe by American standards. In addition to the double harness (legs and chest) secured by standard auto-lock carabiners, our gear included a tight (adjustable) helmet and heavy leather gloves. For my dominant hand I received a special glove with a ridge that rests perfectly on the zip line. For some lines the instructors informed me to rest my hand lightly on the cord; for other lines, per the instructor's direction, I pulled down on the line to slow myself just before reaching the next platform. The course includes a double cable, so adventurers are secured to two separate lines, and the nimble Dominicans stationed at every platform are there not only for encouragement (or a push!) but also to hook you up to or take you off of the cables.



The view from each one of the wooden towers displayed a different jungle canopy panorama, and the afternoon sun blurred out the peaks of nearby mountains. Zipping across the lines made for an avian experience, with no rough terrain or obstacles in our way. The vast jungle spread out at our feet.
 


We crossed the fastest line, and my mother had taken the leap despite rambling anxiously.


However, then we reached this tall tower: the point of no return. This line brought us across a river, so once crossed, there is no way to turn back by foot--the adventurer must finish the entire course. After baking in the sun and being drained by fear and adrenaline, my mom had her doubts about this next line. Just climbing the tower alone was another feat.

She said she wouldn't climb the tower--that this was the end for her and she would walk to the nearest point to pick up the tour bus. Then she climbed the tower (to accompany me) and asserted that she would under no circumstances cross the river and that I should go on without her.

In a surreal minute, I conquered the entire jungle, soaring over tree tops and rushing past the river. Part of the reason I came to Punta Cana was to get away from the stress of living in New York. As I zipped across, my mind washed completely clean by the wind and the exceptional view. I forgot everything. 


When I reached the next platform the instructor on the other side gave me a high five. Not half a minute after I was safely unhooked from the line, I saw my mom zooming into focus. I'm not sure what the ropes course staff member said to her, but it must have been effective.

We both finished the rest of the course (even I admitted fatigue at the end) and made our way back to the bus to rejoin the group. My mom swears she will never go zip lining again--having earned bragging rights and crossed it off her bucket list. Yet, despite all the fuss, I think she had a great time. 

Comments

  1. Wow, I had no idea just how high or long. Thanks for the photo reminders.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts