Happy One Year Anniversary, My Valentine

Forced to tide black pools of icy water, fingers numb,
I laughed from the gut, still, cursing out loud
Because even mired in sludge--and lord knows what else--
Being here with you makes me so proud.

You're tenacious, stylish, full of gumption and vigor;
You make me fight harder, think bigger, and play (and recover)
I count myself lucky to be in your presence,

So full of new joys to delight and discover. 

I love you. I do. But is it always enough?
I love to hate you, and sometimes I love hating you--
Pushing me, draining me, letting me suffer or fear;
You're no knight in stylish armor, no chivalrous rescue. 

But, when the full moon shines over the water,
Or fireworks light my window red,
As the millions of lights remind me there are millions of souls,
Or rain falls in impossibly large droplets on to my head;

As a sweet taste lowers my eyes and touches my tongue;
As bright colors seize my focus and flash ahead in streaks,
Or you show me the latest tech gizmos, make me privy to the newest fads,
Or bring me back through the ages in history, relics, and antiques;

When you extend a hand and introduce me to someone new,
And pass over boundries to other mysterious lands,
And show me that I can do, want, dream, fight, work, be, or not be 
However I want without any constraints or demands;

As night falls but nothing goes dark,
And out if the shadows I hear a voice from far away
Or pause the world for an instant to enjoy jazz by a stranger,
I know from my heart it's with you I will stay.

Happy Anniversary, New York. You are still my lovely Valentine. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts