I'm Listening, New York


Thought I cannot quantify it, I feel as though I have read many accounts of situations in which a victim in public is passed by without a thought as city dwellers continue on their track, uncaring and unaware of the world around them. I have read news articles citing lack of responsiveness among city residents when it comes to helping the victim of a bicycle theft, public dispute, or other victimizing act. However,  reports say that we are not uncaring citizens, but rather, in addition to rationalizing the situation (he can't be stealing that bike in broad daylight--there must be some other logical explanation), we are just overstimulated. People cannot absorb everything around them. It is too much.

Are these masked music-makers adding to the city's cacophony, or are they shoving our faces directly into the metaphorical roses we ought to stop and smell? I don't know.


Sometimes the musicians in the streets and the subways are added annoyances on late or hectic days. Other times they are that comfort that makes waiting 15 minutes in a dank subway station seem enjoyable.


I'm listening to that jazz player... to that drummer... and to those vocalists... I'm even watching and enjoying the artistic performance in a Brooklyn underground scene.


I'm listening, New York. 

Comments

  1. You never know who you might find. In 2007 Joshua Bell, famed violinist played in the DC subway and no one knew who he was. See the video on the Washington Post website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts