Brunches and Buffets

I exhausted much effort in finding a good buffet in Seoul. Given the number of high-end Western hotel chains, finding a good brunch isn't difficult. The trouble is in the details: breakfast buffet, which is less expensive, or lunch buffet? Hotel chain or local restaurant? How much does each place cost? What kind of food is provided?

To start with, let me point out that A Story, which was listed as a top brunch destination (here), is now closed. Take this from me and my two friends, as we all spent two hours in the rain searching for this restaurant, whose address yielded only a new restaurant currently undergoing construction.

Suji's, however, is still open. Having read about it on the Internet, I was pleasantly surprised when my friends stumbled across it by accident. Though not a buffet, Suji's has what my Italian friend described as "the best coffee [she's] had since being in China", which is quite a compliment coming from a coffee addict who has consumed an average of 2-3 cups of coffee every day for the eight months I've known her in China. Suji's compounds its coffee goodness by giving free refills of regular coffee on any type of coffee ordered. My other friend and I split a ham and honey mustard sandwich, was the best lunch I had in Seoul. Though we only had a light lunch, I could see why the open, naturally lit restaurant would be suitable for a leisurely Sunday brunch.

Our last day in Seoul my friends and I spent a long breakfast at the COEX Intercontinental. This was not a premature decision for brunch, however. Before making a reservation for our breakfast buffet, I scoured the Internet for other options.
  • The Hyatt's The Terrace: lunch buffet from 12:00-2:30pm for 65,341 won per person
  • The Marriott's Cafe @ JW: casual brunch serving "international, local, seasonal, healthy, organic" cuisine for 67,000 won per person
  • The Sheraton Grande Walkerhill's W Restaurant
  • The Ritz's Garden Restaurant: 12:00-2:30pm brunch for 64,000 won per person
  • The Lotte Hotel Seoul's La Seine: breakfast buffet from 6:00-10:00am for 49,000 won per person
  • The Shilla's The Parkview Cafe: breakfast brunch from 5:30-10am for 47,000 won per person
I also stumbled across the Marché Coex in the COEX mall that seems to have a fresh selection for their dinner buffet. Pizza, pastas, salads, meats, and an ice cream spread are just the few foods that I can remember from circling their 25,000 won dinner buffet. Though not as big or as gourmet as the hotel chains promise to be, this casual restaurant could be a nice option for a leisurely lunch or dinner for when you get tired of trying to tackle the enormity of the COEX mall.

However, the Intercontinental turned out to be a good choice. We were happy to stuff ourselves with pastries, fresh breads and jams, eggs, fresh fruits and juices squeezed on site, silver dollar pancakes topped with your choice of unhealthy sauces, and cereals of increasing levels of frostedness. Though this brunch cannot compare to the Hyatt in Hangzhou or even the breakfast at the Sheraton Grande in Bangkok, the pleasure of dining with two good friends on our last day in Seoul--before heading back to Nanjing where we will endure our last eight weeks of the academic year--was something special.

Comments

Popular Posts