Masada

With the exception of my hike up Huangshan in China, I can't ever remember feeling so physically and emotionally winded as I felt hiking up Masada. Both hikes involved never-ending stairs. To me, a hike should involve varied terrain. It should not, however, be a stair master nightmare turned into reality with stairs stacking up into the heavens, no end in sight.

If you are anything like me, I beg you: hike Masada anyway.

We started our hike in the early morning so as to reach the summit around sunrise. This did make our journey cooler, but only just. I took one stair at a time, leaning more and more upon the sporadically available handrails as I ascended. Sweaty and breathless, I stopped for a moment, looked around, and saw this:


I had to quicken my pace to get to the top for sunrise, but I made it just in time.






As the sun broke free of the horizon it spread first across the dead sea, then across the ancient holy ruins atop the mountain.






Comments

  1. Your photos are fantastic...waiting for the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts