A Foreign Place

Thus far I have written only about being The Foreigner in a different country. Because of nationalistic tendencies to group together in a unifying culture--complete with food, music, religion, daily rituals, and the like--it is easy to feel lost and aloof from the crowd when unfamiliar with those things that have come to "identify" a group of people.

I have not, however, crossed the boundary of so-called "foreign territory." This phrase, so often used to denote uncomfortable places and situations, has a literally grounded feeling (territory) while retaining the right to be used in an emotional situation or state of mind. While I have long since returned from far off lands in Europe and Asia and returned to a now snow-covered Vermont, I find myself entering into "foreign territory." Of course, I am referring to G-Day: the day of liberation, new beginnings, and, well, gripping fear.

Oddly enough, the "foreign territory" to which I refer is not Postgradland but Indecisionburg. I'm not one to fear change, or the future, or even the unknown, and I've therefore had seamless transitions in most of my life. Three and a half weeks away from home before hitting double-digits might have been scary for other people, but for me the only difficult thing about it was the return home. With the exception of my (very justified) fear of getting lost in my high school building, my transition into big-scary-high-school-land was pretty anticlimactic. My high school graduation and subsequent move to college was, if anything, long overdue by my senior spring. I even embraced the prospect of transitioning between multiple living situations, languages, and schools for a full year, and I managed to get through it with but one (minor) panic situation.

I think I've decided that the reason why none of the (albeit minor considering my youth) changes in my life have phased me is because I've always known what I wanted the next step to be. My confidence in my decisions has ranged from warmly self-assured to dangerously stubborn, but that confidence has, nonetheless, driven me forward. From little decisions like, "do I buy this shirt?" to big ones like, "Where should I go to college," I am logical and decisive to the core. The most indecisive most people have ever seen me is pondering over a dinner menu. Place me in front of two dazzling desserts and making me choose between them is as heart-wrenching as it gets, folks.

Maybe that is why I feel so foreign in Indecisionberg. Postgradland will bring what it will, and I'll adapt to the changes as they come just like I have for every other situation. Figuring out what I want to do once I get there--that is the (so far) unanswered question. I know what I like to do, and I know what I want to avoid at all costs, so I'm hoping that I'll find my way out of Indecisionberg soon. If I can't? Well, I guess I'll just have to learn the language and add it to the list!

What I do know is that this will not be the last time that I find myself in the position of The Foreigner. Hopefully, come May, I'll have somewhere exciting and Foreign to go, and I'll return here to tell all of you about it.

Comments

  1. Very well written. You do not inhabit Indecisionberg alone, in fact I am sure it has a large population. But, as you research possibilities for moving, new options will open up and you will find yourself taking off and flying to new places and experiences and to a new town...destination to be determined. Get your map out. xoxoxoxo mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mlfechtor,

    I hope you don't mind me getting in touch. I found your details on your website and I hope you might be able to help me with my strange request…

    I am a Producer working on a television show called House Hunters International which follows English speaking expats in their quest to purchase a house abroad. I wonder if you or any of your expat contacts might be interested in getting involved?! Please find a little blurb about the show below:

    House Hunters International is a half-hour program currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV) in America.
    The series is designed to de-mystify the international home-buying process by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where buyers and their real estate agents tour 3 homes.

    At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different.

    You can watch some examples of the show here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0Q6DYe3QM - London from South Africa (1600 series) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLmhKEzm5kg - Dubai from Illinois (2000 series)

    Please get in touch if you have any more questions about the show. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best wishes and many thanks,

    Michelle

    Michelle James
    ASSOCIATE PRODUCER LEOPARD FILMS
    1-3 St Peter's Street, London N1 8JD - +44 20 7704 3300
    michelle.james@leopardfilms.com
    www.leopardfilms.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts