Just another day at the Zoo

“Someone told me it’s all happening at the zoo” –Simon and Garfunkel

Travel Tip # 11(?): Beware of culture shock.

Everyone tells you a trip to another country can always come with culture shock. We know this to be relatively true, and the good traveler accepts it along with his baggage. However, even a good traveler doesn’t always know what this culture shock entails—especially since it is different for every person and every country—or when and how it will strike the traveler. This is most important in China.

1. Chinese people “drink” their soup rather than “eat” it. They also consider soup to be a beverage, and so you will frequently find soup included in a “dry” meal, such as noodles. Be prepared to sit through drink-less meals from time to time.
2. “Tea” can mean “tea” but it can also mean “hot water”. This is most annoying because the interpretation depends on your waitress and where she is from. Be specific in your ordering—“tea leaf tea” or “hot water” should clear up any mishaps.
3. Chinese people spit. A lot. Everywhere. On bus floors, on train floors, on the street, out the window of the car… the list goes on. Don’t worry, though, they seem to have fairly good aim…
4. A good number of Chinese people don’t use towels after a shower. Hand towels, sure, to dry off or tousle hair but no cozy terry in which to snuggle as you wait for yourself to dry, blow dry your hair, or go find your clothes.
5. The biggest culture shock for me so far, and the reason for this post: The zoo.


I smiled and laughed as I watched the monkeys dart around the rocks. The little monkey babies started playing, chasing each other around and swinging gleefully from the little jungle gym.

However, my smile wore off as I truly looked around. There was garbage on the floor of the monkey pen, not to mention a whole bunch of food that looked like it didn’t belong. Then I turned my gaze to the zoo-goers next to us and watched the father throw food into the monkey pen, probably hoping for one to come over and smile pretty for the camera.

Although I wasn’t, the monkeys seemed happy enough with the situation, so we moved on still smiling but now a bit wary. The gorilla, it seemed, was not as optimistic as the other monkeys. He was alone in a glass-windowed case, with no place concealed from human eyes, no place to hide. A large crowd of people stood in front of his cage whooping, jeering, clapping, and banging their hands loudly on the glass, hoping for some action. The sight was disgusting and pitiful. Children wailed loudly on whistles that some vendor sold around the zoo, parents and children egged the gorilla on in any way possible. Finally, the poor gorilla snapped, leaping forth and fisting the glass front making it quiver. I was secretly hoping that he would break through the cage and get his revenge, but I have a feeling its better that he didn’t because he alone probably would have suffered the consequences.

We strolled along, spirits crushed by the insensitivity of the other visitors. I noticed a fair number of lonely animals, sick animals, and animals stuck in a small, unnatural habitat. I couldn’t figure out why this zoo was the way that it was. The only reason I came up with: cultural differences. I must say, I was shocked. I can’t blame the zoo-goers too much for their pitiful behavior because it’s possible that they were never taught to appreciate animals in the same way that westerners have. However, I can blame the zoo. I believe that anyone who opens a Zoo is responsible for seeking smart, dedicated experts who will look after the well-being of the animals and teach others how to do the same.

This morning I’m leaving for Sichuan for one week. I’m excited for 3 days of horse trekking and a few days hiking through some stunning natural parks. I’m beyond excited. But I have to admit, one of the things I’m looking forward to the most is going to the Panda reserve/research center in Chengdu. I’m hoping for a more uplifting experience.

Comments

Popular Posts